Friday, July 23, 2010

Page 195 Excercise 4

For the excises on page 195 I chose number 4 which is to make up an appeal to some emotion for the next time a traffic officer stops you. I chose the emotion of empathy and pity. I would say “I am so sorry officer I was in a hurry because I am late for work. If I’m late for work I’ll be fired. So could you please let me off with a warning this one time”. So in this sentence I am trying to evoke pity and maybe some empathy from the officer. The sentence “If I’m late for work I’ll be fired” is a common thing for people to empathize with as they’ve probably been late for work before and they know the boss won’t be pleased. Also the officer may pity you because you basically state your livelihood is on the line if you are late this one time.

3 comments:

  1. I like your example for the objective number 4. If only we could use that same excuse in the real world and get away with it every time. How good would that be. Emotion appeal of pity, really all depends on how persuasive you are in making the opponent believe and truly feel sorry for you. In some cases, some people are very good at this, and others just don't have the talent to veil the eyes of the beholder. I seem to recall my friend got away with crying and telling the police that she was going to her grandmas funeral. That sure did the trick. Nice explanation and example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An appeal to some emotion is an interesting topic. This is something we see or use everyday in our lives. I wish getting away with a ticket was that easy. Yes, there are sometimes when a cop will let you get away with a warning but most of the time they will give you that ticket. My dad got away from a ticket because the cop saw his car with an army civilian sticker plate thing for his work. But great example and lets hope you get dont get that ticket using this excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of example for an appeal to emotion you've got there! Some people are lucky enough to get away with speeding because the police officer feel sympathetic for them but not everyone has that kind of luck. I remembered when my dad was driving over the speed limit because he was late for work and when he got pulled over by a police officer, he said "Come on, man. Please just let me go this time because I'm very late for work and I don't want to get fired." However, the police did not buy my dad's words. All he said was, "Sorry, sir. I'm just going by the law. Don't make the same mistake again next time". Turned out my dad didn't get away with it because he actually gave my dad a speeding ticket.

    ReplyDelete