Friday, July 2, 2010

Conditional claim and contradictory of a conditional

A conditional claim is broken up into two parts, a conditional (ie. if or then, the antecedent) and a promise (the consequent). The book states that "a claim is conditional if it can be rewritten as an "if....then....."claim that must have the same truth-value.

One example of a conditional claim that I heard recently was from my father. He said "If you graduate this Summer, I will buy you a new T.V." The antecedent of this statement is "graduate this Summer". The consequent of this statement is "I will buy you a new T.V".

Another example of a conditional claim I used was when I was talking with my friend. I told him "I'll go to the hockey game with you, if you pay your own way". The antecedent of this statement is "pay your own way". The consequent of this statement is "I'll go to the hockey game with you".

1 comment:

  1. Sry forgot to erase the contradictory part in the subject.

    ReplyDelete