Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Discuss Subjective and Objective Claims

Subjective Claim

I recently overheard my sister talk about the city of Sausalito here in the Bay Area and how she wants to move there. She explained to me how it was the most beautiful & best place to live in the Bay Area. Her reasons were that it looked beautiful because it was on an Ocean front, it is quiet and secluded, and the residents would be better neighbors because they can afford to live in such a nice area. Now in my opinion this is a subjective claim because it is all based on her interpretations of "beautiful" and "best". Perhaps another person doesn't like being near the Ocean and therefore they believe it is not a beautiful city or certainly not the "most" beautiful. Another might dislike being secluded away from a major city and its conveniences. Finally we see her reasoning that "richer" neighbors would make better neighbors may not apply towards someone elses view points as they may think richer neighbors are snobby and hard to be around. So as we can see her claim that Sausalito is the most beautiful and best place to live is a subjective claim as whether its true or false is entirely up to that persons personal standards.

Objective Claim

For my objective claim I am going to use my friend as an example. He just purchased a new black Volkswagon. He called me and told me he just bought a black Volkswagon. I went and saw the car right after he got back from the dealer. I recognized it was brand new as it is this years model, it had no mileage, it was black, and it had the dealers tag on the licenses plate. So whether this claim is true or false does not depend on what anyone thinks or believes, it is an impersonal claim. Furthermore I made this conclusion based on the fact that this was a brand new black Volkswagon through carefull observation.

5 comments:

  1. That is a very good description of subjectivity in a claim. I know someone who thinks New York is the most beautiful city in the world. it all depends on your definition.

    I also agree with your statement about neighbors. Often, people who have 'gone without', who struggle in life, are the most compassionate. They make truly good neighbors. But again, this is a generalization. What makes a good neighbor really depends on what you want from that neighbor. Do you want companionship and a cup of coffee? Do you want to be left alone?

    The car is the car is the car, and I would like a new black Volkswagen. I have a green Hyundai hatchback. Although I love having a hatchback, I would really enjoy having that Objective new black VW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both your eamples of subjective and objective claim are great examples! I love the way you explained how each example is a subjective claim or an objective claim. Exactly like the book does it. I actually love Sausalito personally, so I agree with your sister. Your sister's thoughts about the neighborhood and Ocean view really are based on her perception. I like the way you explain your objective claim about the new VW. Whether is true or false, it is still a claim. And again your example was described just as the examples in the book were which made it very easy for me to follow and understand. I'd like a 2010 black VW, but that will only be in my dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you described and defined both claims in full detail. Both of your examples were really good and were suitable for each claim.
    I actually was by Sausalito today on a day trip to San Francisco with my family and it reminded me of the times I had been there over the years and how nice and picturesque the city is. I do agree with you on how just because your sister may feel that city is the "best" to live in may not be the same for someone else. Like you mentioned, someone else may not enjoy living in a city that is secluded or a "rich neighborhood makes the best neighborhood because some may agree while others feel, it would make an individual too sheltered from the outside world that can include poverty, or those who a less fortunate than others.
    For your objective claim example, your friend must be one happy camper : ) Your conclusion helped make your example even more stronger.

    -little miss daisy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both your subjective and objective examples. They're interesting because you use everyday situation which makes it fun to read about. I have never been to Sausalito even though I live in SF which is not too far away. But I heard stories where it is a beautiful place and I'm sure your sister will love it there! For your objective claim, I thought it was funny how you and your friend got the same car but it is definitely exciting to have matching cars with a friend. I'm guessing it must've costed a fortune for your car. But I'm sure it'll last long. You get what you pay for! I still drive a corolla and you're so lucky to own a nice car :) take good care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! you did a really good job explaning both of the two claims!
    i love that you used my car for one of the examples! i have a older one but it all still the same. from the looks of it you are right in line with how the book explanes this, that good that you can understand how they explan it then put it in your own words! great job! and if you are going to New York have fun!

    ReplyDelete